- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 pounds sliced, sirloin steak or more.
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 small, about 6-inches long, Italian or French loaves of bread, split open
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and sirloin until onions are soft and translucent in color, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in the chili powder, pepper, salt, Worcestershire, molasses, and garlic and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the red and green peppers and sauté for about 4 more minutes.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Spoon about 2 cups of the meat mixture into each loaf and then sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of provolone cheese. Broil sandwiches for 1 minute or until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately
NOTES and TIPS
For the meat I cooked a sirloin tip roast in the crock pot during the day. I simply seasoned it with with sea salt and pepper and let it cook. Then I shredded the roast and spooned it into each roll. The first try we just added grated cheese on top and broiled the sandwiches in the oven – watch carefully they can burn fast!! The second try I made a cheese sauce. And also added a little onion, beef, bouillon and water mixture to the meat to add some moisture. I’m not sure if I liked the cheese sauce version better. You do need to eat them right away because the bread will get soggy. BUT I absolutely loved the peppers and mushroom with the sauce and flavors. We actually doubled the spices and molasses, etc. It just needed more flavor.
Second Try. . .